Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Follow the Road, chapter 2

I was Jesus Christ today.  Let me explain.  In this morning's Adult Bible Study (which, incidentally, is identical to the youth Bible Study), we performed a Readers' Theatre based on Mark chapter 5.  There were six speaking parts and I expressed a preference to not be the bleeding woman.  It looked as though I would be the Commentator, but Connie asked if she could pass off the role of Jesus.  So, I portrayed Our Lord and Savior.
 
And this is really strange.  I was all ready to be the Commentator.  It is what I normally do here, observing and telling the story.  No problem.  But suddenly, as Jesus, my whole comfort zone evaporated.  I had Jairus asking for help with his sick daughter, a woman touching my robe to be healed of a hemorrhage, and the crowds wanting to see me and hear me and hindering me from these tasks needing my attention.  I healed those needing healing, and conjured as much grace, mercy and love as I could.  At the end I was exhausted.  My portrayal lasted about 3 minutes.
 
One of the follow-up questions asked if we had ever been in a situation where we had to be Jesus.  One answer I suppose is never.  Another is whenever we have an opportunity to interact with another person.  My answer is that I know I was supposed to behave as Jesus after the interaction, whenever I wish that I had loved more.
 
The youth in their Bible Study groups all had these portrayals and questions to wrestle with.  I can't wait to hear what they have to say.  And that leads me to one of the favorite parts of the Passport experience.  Our COK youth break up into 6-person groups and talk about their day with each other and an adult chaperon.  I ask about impressions of the various work sites, highs and lows, prayer concerns, and anything else that comes to mind.  The group is small enough to be intimate but not so small as to be awkward.  Everyone has something to say, which is wonderfully gratifying.  It is a good ending to the day. 
 
There is a Wizard of Oz tie-in to the theme Follow the Road.  Get it?  Tonight there is an Emerald Ball.  Miss Kristi is lamenting having not brought along her pointy black hat.  I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!

No comments:

Post a Comment